Objectives: This committee organizes and reviews the nominations for specific AAA awards and selects a recommended winner for each.
Duration of Committee: Permanent
Term of Office: 3-year terms
Committee Reports to: AAA Executive Board
Membership and Appointment:
- to organize and review information regarding the nominations and recommend winners for the following AAA awards:
- The Franz Boas Award for Exemplary Service to Anthropology;
- The Anthropology in Media Award;
- The Robert B. Textor and Family Prize for Excellence in Anticipatory Anthropology; and
- The AAA/Oxford Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Coordinates with the SfAA for the Margaret Mead Award to ensure that winner is selected in a timely way.
- Works with AAA liaison in notifying nominators of their requirement to write encomia for their nominee. Encomia will be used for print publications (AN/Program) and used for awards ceremony.
- Review any new proposals for new AAA association level awards.
- Committee members are encouraged to attend the Awards Ceremony at the AAA Annual Meetings where they will be recognized by the AAA President.
Product: A written report to the Executive Board.Meetings and Schedule: Committee meets in the spring by phone and e-mail.Staff Liaison and contact information:Kathy Ano
- Five-member committee including the chair
- Committee members are appointed by the president with one seat designated for a student
- This committee is chaired by an appointed member of the Executive Board
- The appointment of the new chair is made the year prior to the departure of the sitting chair. This is an ex-officio non-voting role.
, American Anthropological Association, 2300 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 1301, Arlington, VA 22201, Phone: (703) 528-1902, Fax: (703) 528-3546.