COMMITTEE ON ETHICS
The Committee on Ethics is a standing committee of the Association, which is responsible for the design and implementation of the Association's ethics education and advisory program. The objectives of the ethics education program are:
1. to increase the number of candidates for all degrees in anthropology receiving training in ethics before graduating;
2. to provide ongoing education in ethical issues for all AAA members, and
3. to provide advice to AAA members facing/raising ethical dilemmas.
Duration of Committee:
Permanent; The AAA Association Operations Committee will review each committee advisory to the Board at least once in five years.
Committee Reports to:
The Executive Board
1. Work with the long-range Planning Committee and others, formulates visions and goals for the AAA ethics education and advisory program, consistent with the Association's long-range goals
2. Continually assess members' ethics education needs and interests
3. Provide advice to AAA members who are facing/raising ethical dilemmas
4. Assess progress toward attaining ethics education program vision and goals
5. Develop policy recommendations for the ethics education program
6. With the Ethics Contributing Editor of the Anthropology Newsletter, develop ideas for the Ethics column and materials for the AAA Ethics Page on the website
7. Sponsor an ethics-related session at the AAA annual meeting
Membership and Appointment:
10 member committee including the Chair
3 year terms
Committee members are elected at-large with designated seats for:
As well as 3 undesignated seats
The AN Column Editor, President and President-elect serve ex-officio
The Committee members select a chair from among its members.
The COE submits recommendations to the AAA Executive Board in the form of motions passed at its meetings. The Chair of the COE submits an annual program report to the Executive Board.
Meetings and Schedule:
The COE meets annually at the AAA annual meeting (November/December)
Staff Liaison and contact information: Stacy Lathrop, Managing Editor, Anthropology News, American Anthropological Association, 2200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 600, Arlington, VA 22201, 703/528-1902, fax 703/528-3546.
Alex W. Barker (E 05-08)
Museum of Art & Archaeology, Director
1 Pickard Hall
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Seat # 1
Seat and Chair-Elect
Research Ethics Program, 0612
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, CA 92093-0612
About AAA / Join AAA / Jobs & Careers / AAA Meetings / AAA Publications
Sections & Interest Groups / Staff Directory / Anthro Links / Support AAA
or comments? We want to hear from you!
© 1996-2006, American Anthropological Association
2200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 600, Arlington, VA 22201; phone 703/528-1902; fax 703/528-3546