The AAA Press Office offers resources to help members promote their work and share anthropological knowledge with public audiences. For media relations assistance, please contact Damon Dozier at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 703-528-1902 ext. 1163.
Media Relations Guide
The AAA has prepared a comprehensive guide titled, "Anthropology & Media: A (Nearly) Pain-Free Guide to Working with the Press." The guide is available here.
The following the six tipsheets included in the guide:
- Is it News?- Includes a series of questions to help you determine whether your item is newsworthy and promotable.
- Making Contact- Tips on identifying press to promote your news to.
- Writing Press Releases- Guidelines for crafting a professional press release.
- Press Release Starter - A template of standard elements to help get you started on pulling your release together, plus a sample press release.
- Interviewing - Pointers on handling interviews, including those for TV and radio; how to handle "off the record" situations; how to decline to comment; and post-interview tips.
- Editorial Options- Explains opinion and commentary opportunities worth exploring.
The following is a list of Web-based content - created by AAA and others - that offers further advice and insights about the media: