EXTENDED CALL FOR PAPERS
Conference on Childhood Studies
Values of Childhood and Childhood Studies
May, 7–9th, 2014
NB The deadline for the submission of proposals is 20 January 2014. Applicants will be notified of the acceptance or rejection of proposals in February 2014.
The Finnish Society for Childhood Studies invites submissions for an international conference to be held in Oulu May 7–9th, 2014. The multidisciplinary conference on childhood studies has established itself as the venue for research on children and childhood in Finland. The focus of the sixth conference will be on values – the values of childhood as well as the values in and valuation of childhood studies.
The keynote speakers are:
- Professor Alan Prout (Sociology of childhood, University of Warwick)
- Professor Pia Christensen (Anthropology and Childhood Studies, University of Leeds)
- Professor Eva Johansson (Early Childhood Education, University of Stavanger)
- Professor Astri Andresen (Archaeology, History, Cultural Studies and Religion, University of Bergen)
- Development Manager Mikko Oranen (National Institute for Health and Welfare, Oulu)
The conference offers space for an interdisciplinary exchange of ideas for researchers who work with children. We welcome papers that respond to the main theme from different viewpoints including but not limited to:
- Ethical questions and values in childhood research
- Methodological challenges in childhood research
- Health and equality in childhood
- Childhood and moral values
- Childhood in plural societies
- Northern childhoods
- Historicising the values of childhood
- Gendered values of childhood
- Languages of childhood
- Values in education
- Contested and conflicting values of childhood
- Institutional and individual values of childhood
- Vulnerable childhoods
- Children’s participation
- Other viewpoints
Sessions will be arranged either in English or in Finnish. A proposal can be submitted for:
- Individual paper presentation: 20–30 minutes including discussion.
- Self-organised sessions: groups may propose to organize a full session of 90 minutes including presentations (3–4 individual papers and discussion, or round table discussion).
- Poster presentation: sessions will be set up for conference participants to interact with poster presenters.
Please submit abstracts for presentations electronically through the conference website (http://childhood2014.
- the title of the presentation
- the type of presentation (individual paper/ self-organised session/ poster)
- the name/s and institution/s of the presenter/s
- mailing address and E-mail address
- a 250-word abstract
- audiovisual requirements, and
- up to five keywords.
January 20th 2014: Deadline for submission of abstracts
February 15th 2014: Notification of acceptance of papers
March 15th 2014: Final date for registration with reduced fee
April 15th 2014: Final date for registration
We warmly welcome you to Oulu!
Scientific Committee and Organizing Committee