We have developed a tentative list of possible AfAA panel sessions related to this year’s meeting theme, “Future Publics, Current Engagements,” for the upcoming AAA Annual Meeting in Chicago (please feel free to submit your own!) If you are interested in chairing one of these sessions or submitting a panel of your own, please contact David Turkon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- African Art Markets and Museums: Spaces to Engage the Public
- Media Publics in Africa
- Concepts of the Public: Citizenry and Current Political Engagement
- Developing an African State-Level Public
- Human Rights and NGOs: Does the African Public Care?
- Public Rituals and Private Spaces in Africa
- Chinese and African Textiles in Africa: What is the Public’s Perception?
- African Land Grabs: Grabbing Public and Private Lands
- African Sports Events: The New Public Rituals
2013 Annual Meeting
The 112th AAA Annual meeting will be held at the Chicago Hilton November 20-24, 2013 in Chicago IL. The 2013 annual meeting theme is “Future Publics, Current Engagements.”
The “Call for Papers” process is conducted in three phases. The first, Executive Proposals will open the second week of January and close February 8th at noon. The second, Section Invited Proposals opens February 15 and closes March 15, 2013. The third, Volunteered Sessions and All Other proposals opens February 15th and closes April 15th, 2013.
A list of submission types and requirements are listed on the AAA website at: Proposal Submission Types.
Individually volunteered proposals are reviewed and placed in sessions by section program reviewers. Sessions submissions will be reviewed in May and scheduled in June 2013. Notices for all proposals are emailed in July, followed by a preliminary schedule, which is published August 2013. Registrants will have access to the online scheduler and online program in September.
The annual meeting starts on Wednesday November 20 at noon and continues through Sunday November 24. Join the AAA to present your work, exchange ideas and network with colleagues from around the globe. Historically the AAA Annual Meeting has approximately 800 scholarly sessions, 200 special events, and 60 exhibitors.
NEW IN 2013:
- Installations (a remix and rebirth of “InnoVents” and “Salons” introduced to the AAA Annual Meetings program in recent years) invite anthropological knowledge off the beaten path of the written conference paper. Like work shared in art venues, presentations selected as part of the AAA Installations program will draw on movement, sight, sound, smell, and taste to dwell on the haptic and engage AAA members and meeting attendees in a diverse world of thesenses. Presenters may propose performances, recitals, conversations, author-meets-critic roundtables, salon reading workshops, oral history recording sessions and other alternative, creative forms of intellectual expression for consideration. Selected Installations will be curated for off-site exhibition and tied to the official AAA conference program. Successful proposals will offer attendees an opportunity to learn from a range of vested interests not typically encountered or easily found on the traditional AAA program. Installations are meant to disrupt who and what we tend to see at the Annual Meetings, helping attendees encounter new people and to do different kinds of things at the intersections of anthropological arts, sciences, and cultural expression.
- Green Registration- AAA is offering a Green Registration type in all registration categories. By registering at the Green Registration type you’ll lessen AAA’s impact on the environment by NOT receiving a printed copy of the program in Chicago. Instead, you’ll be able to take advantage of the program downloaded in e-reader format as well as the online program scheduler. The most up-to-date program information is always located online. Green Registration rates are moderately reduced from the regular registration rates.
- Reminder: Green Registrations will not receive a printed copy of the Annual Meeting Program in Chicago.
- February 8-Noon
Deadline for executive session proposals
- February 15
Online abstract submission system opens for all proposals
- March 1
Decisions on executive sessions announced
- March 15
Proposal deadline for section invited sessions, installations and public policy forums
- April 4
Results of section invited session proposals announced
- April 15
Proposal deadline for volunteered sessions, individual paper and poster presentations and special events. To be included in the 2013 AAA Annual Meeting program, participants must be registered by this date.
The University of Pavia (Italy) will host an African Studies Conference from 18-20 September 2012. The call for papers can be downloaded here:
Don’t hesitate to participate and to involve all your colleagues
interested in African studies. Thank you very much for your attention
The Organising Commitee