CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: 2013 MES Distinguished Scholar Award
The MES Distinguished Scholar Award
Established in 2006, the biennial MES Distinguished Scholar Award includes a cash award of $500, and recognition at the Middle East Section business meeting at the annual AAA conference. The Distinguished Scholar award is granted to an anthropologist of the Middle East whose teaching and whose contributions to the literature and the profession have substantially advanced the field. The call for nominations is typically issued in the spring and the deadline is April 15. Please see the link above or check the news announcements for more details.
- 2014: Dr. Susan Slymovics (UCLA)
- 2013: Dr. Marcia Inhorn (Yale University)
- 2011: Dr. Dale Eickelman (Dartmouth College)
- 2009: Dr. Brinkley Messick (Columbia University)
- 2007: Dr. Lila Abu Lughod (New York University)
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: 2014 MES Student Paper Award
The MES Student Paper Prize
The MES proudly sponsors an annual paper prize for students in anthropology and related disciplines. Established in 2000, the MES Student Paper Prize includes a cash award of $500, ideally to help defray the costs of travel to the annual AAA conference, and recognition at the Middle East Section meeting at the conference. Papers from current undergraduate or graduate students on any aspect of Middle East anthropology will be evaluated according to originality, significance, use of data, and quality of writing. Papers may not have been published at the time of submission. The call for papers is typically issued in the spring, and the deadline for submission is June 15. Please see the link above or check the news announcements for more details.
- 2013 Student Paper Prize Winner: Jess Bier, for “The Colonizer in the Computer: The British and Israeli Influence on Palestinian Authority Cartography in the West Bank.”
- 2011 Student Paper Prize Winner: Elif Babül, for “‘Smells Like Translation’: Pedagogies of Human Rights and Transnational Standardization in Turkey.” Honorable mention: Dorothée Kellou.
- 2008 Student Paper Prize Winner: Suncem Kocer, for “Media Production and Transpolitics.” Honorable Mention: Sophia Stamatopoulou-Robbins.
- 2007 Annual Student Paper Prize: Ali Scotten for “Magic and Inter-Communal Relations in Sasanian Iraq: The Case of the Incantation Bowls.” Honorable Mention: Berna Yazici.
- 2006 MES Student Paper Prize Winner: Devon Liddell, for “Celebrity Body, Qur’anic Propriety: Beauty and Respectability in a Changing Cairo.”
- 2004 MES Student Paper Prize Winner: Lori Allen, “Suffering through a National Uprising: The Cultural Politics of Violence, Victimization and Human Rights in Palestine”
- 2003 No Prize Awarded
- 2002 No Prize Awarded
- 2001 MES Student Paper Prize Winner: Andrew M. Gardner, for “Political Ecology, Causation and the Bedouin of Saudi Arabia.”