Receive our greetings and wishes for good health! We are sending you a few kind reminders in preparation for the AAA meetings. Please do let us know if you have any questions or comments. Our emails are email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you very much in advance!
Carla and Jerry
Volunteers to Create a Listserve
We continueto look for volunteers interested in creating and running a listserve for MSIG. Jerry and Carla are only able to send one message per month to the MSIG membership. Clearly, this limits our possibilities for extended communication, and we hope to remedy this limitation with a listserve.
If you are interested in contributing to MSIG in this matter, please do let us know!
Looking for Candidates for MSIG Co-convener
Carla will end her term as MSIG convener at the end of the AAA meetings in San Francisco. At the business meeting, Jerry will become the MSIG convener, and we will appoint a new co-convener. We invite any MSIG member to apply for the position of co-convener.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please send us a short email message with a short paragraph indicating your research projects as well as the reasons for your interest in this position. The deadline to send this information is November 7, 2012. Our emails are email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AAA Meetings in San Francisco
We have organized the following activities for our members at the AAA meetings in San Francisco:
First of all, our annual business meeting. It will take place on Friday November 16, from 12:15 to 1:30PM in Union Square 17&18.
In addition, there are several music- and sound-related panels at the AAA meetings! Some of these panels are:
• LABORING CREATIVELY. Wednesday, November 14, 2012: 8:00 PM-9:45 PM. Chairs: Aina Landsverk Hagen (Work Research Institute) and Leonore A Phillips (University of Minnesota, Twin Cities)
• MUSIC, ART, NARRATIVE AND FICTION. Wednesday, November 14, 2012: 12:00 PM-1:45 PM. Chair: Sadiah Nynke Boonstra (Urije Universiteit)
• FROM LIGHT TO SOUND: EXPLORING PERCEPTIONS IN LANDSCAPE AND SPATIAL STUDIES. Wednesday, November 14, 2012: 2:00 PM-3:45 PM. Chair: Kate Galloway (Memorial University, Research Centre for the Study of Music, Media and Place)
• AUDIBLE OBSERVATORIES: CONTEMPORARY ART PRACTICES IN CONVERSATION WITH ANTHROPOLOGIES OF VOICE AND SOUND. Thursday, November 15, 2012: 8:00 AM-9:45 AM. Organizer and Chair: Stephanie Takaragawa (Chapman University)
• AUDIBLE Observatories—Listening STATIONS (Inno-vents)
Friday, November 16, 2012: 5:00 PM-8:45 PM
Saturday, November 17, 2012: 11:00 AM-5:00 PM
Sunday, November 18, 2012: 12:00 PM-9:00 PM
Craig AR Campbell (The University of Texas at Austin – Department of Anthropology)
• THE POLITICS OF PARTY MUSIC: BAY AREA BEATS, RHYMES AND DANCE. Friday, November 16, 2012: 8:00 AM-9:45 AM. Chair: Dawn-Elissa Fischer (San Francisco State University)
• SOUND, MEMORY, AND SETTLEMENT OF NATURAL AND MANMADE DISASTERS. Saturday, November 17, 2012: 10:15 AM-12:00 PM. Chair: Jennifer E. McDowell (University of Pittsburgh)
• MUSIC, DIGITAL MATERIALITIES AND ETHNOGRAPHY. Saturday, November 17, 2012: 4:00 PM-5:45 PM. Organizers: Georgina E Born PhD (University of Oxford) and Alexandrine Boudreault-Fournier (University of Victoria). Chair: Alexandrine Boudreault-Fournier (University of Victoria)
In addition to the sessions and papers, please note this paper on musical anthropologists by our member Lila Ellen Gray:
Lila Ellen Gray (Columbia University, Dept of Music) (Thursday November 15, 10:45 AM)
On the panel: RESEARCHING AFFECT/AFFECTING RESEARCH: EMPATHY AND IMAGINATION IN ANTHROPOLOGICAL METHODS
(Panel runs from 10:15am-12pm November 15). Organizers: Yael Navaro-Yashin (University of Cambridge) and Elizabeth Anne Davis (Princeton University)
There are also a very sizable number of individual papers that discuss music and sound from diverse perspectives. We encourage you to peruse the preliminary program for more information on those sessions. If a member of MSIG would like us to post information about their session or paper on our website, or to send a general message to the list about it, please let us know!
San Francisco Dance Card
The MSIG has organize interrelated initiatives to encourage AAA attendees to engage more deeply with the sonic and music-social landscapes of San Francisco and the Bay Area. MSIG members Luis-Manuel Garcia and Ali Colleen Neff have gathered an impressive list of music and sound events that will take place during the AAA meetings in diverse venues throughout San Francisco. Please take a look at the San Francisco Dance Card and select the events you would like to attend! Please download the AAA-SF Dance Card for information.
The fourth edition of Ethnographic Terminalia, “Audible Observatories,” will take place in San Francisco from November 13 to November 16, 2012. For more information, please visit Ethnographic Terminalia’s website: http://www.ethnographicterminalia.org and the PDF Audible Observatories Press Release
Best regards and we look forward to seeing you in San Francisco,
Carla and Jerry