The SPA student representative sits on the SPA board for a two-year term. The student representative’s primary responsibilities are to represent student interests and concerns to the SPA and to promote both the SPA and psychological anthropology among students.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND OBLIGATIONS OF THE STUDENT REPRESENTATIVE
- The student representative attends all SPA board meetings and business meetings annually at the AAA meetings and biennially at the SPA meetings. This means that the student representative is required to attend SPA board and business meetings on four occasions: the two annual AAA meetings and the one SPA biennial that take place during the student representative’s term
- The student representative represents student concerns to the SPA board and membership.
- The student representative helps promote student participation in SPA.
PROCEDURES FOR CARRYING OUT THE STUDENT REPRESENTATIVE’S RESPONSIBILITIES
- The student representative’s SPA meeting attendance is subsidized; attendance at AAA is partially subsidized.
- In the past, the student representative has represented student concerns to the SPA board by:
- the student representative’s participation in the board’s e-mail conversations;
- soliciting students’ opinions and concerns; requesting the addition of student-related agenda items at the board meetings;
- maintaining e-mail contact with students interested in psychological anthropology and student members of the SPA.
- serving on SPA Board committees: biennial meetings, program, nominations, and other.
- In the past, the student representative has promoted student participation in SPA by:
- organizing a session of student papers for the SPA biennial meeting;
- helping institute and implement other incentives for student involvement at the SPA biennial meetings, such as arranging free lodging for students attending the meetings.
DEADLINES THAT NEED TO BE KEPT IN MIND FOR CARRYING OUT THE STUDENT REPRESENTATIVE’S RESPONSIBILITIES
- Calls for sessions, papers, poster sessions, and posters at the AAA go out in January for meetings in the following November. The student representative may want to organize sessions, encourage other students to participate in or organize sessions, encourage professors and faculty to co-organize sessions with students or to include students in their sessions.
- Condon Prize (SPA’s student essay contest) entries are due May 1; the student representative may want to send out reminders to SPA student members and other students (e.g. National Association of Student Anthropologists) ahead of time.
- Planning for the SPA biennial meeting generally begins over a year in advance; the student representative can request having a student session at the meetings and act as the session’s organizer or co-organizer.